Friday, April 9, 2010

The dreaded "double ear infection"

I took Ryan into the doctor this morning because since Easter morning, when he woke up a little feverish and was not all that into Easter festivities, he has been not-quite-himself. He has been skipping lots of meals, sleeping more and then the runny nose and coughing ensued. This morning after Jake left for work, Ryan would not stop crying from his room. I could hear him, through the sobs, saying "I want out of here." So I told him to come to my bed. He crawled in bed with me at 5:45 a.m., we turned on some cartoons and then we both went back to sleep. I figured it was going to be a "sick day" so I just turned off the alarm clock and ignored the fact that I should have been up getting ready for the Friday workday.

I called in sick to work, called my Mother-in-Law to let her know we wouldn't be coming today and then called the doctor's office. Ryan got in early and as always, freaked out when the nurse wanted to weigh him and take his temperature. I am not sure where the fear comes from but he absolutely hates going to the doctor! OH and then when the doctor comes into the exam room and pulls out the stethoscope, you would think he was pinching Ryan with how loud Ryan screams!

We got through the appointment to find out that Ryan has ear infection in both ears. We were prescribed some antibiotics and sent on our way with a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks. For most of the day Ryan has been napping and generally not feeling well. Besides some pancakes for breakfast, Ryan really hasn't eaten anything today. He's just fallen asleep on the couch next to me so I think it's time for medicine and bed.

I hope everyone else is healthy and enjoying the weekend ahead! Say a little prayer that by Noon tomorrow (24 hours on antibiotics) Ryan will be on the uphill mend from this ickiness!

2 comments:

michelle said...

Oh man, yuck! I hope he's feeling better soon!

Tania said...

Poor Ryan! We know what those horrible ear infections are like! Feel better soon!